« Home | Treats for EVERYONE!!! » | Oooo...the Munchies! » | Giving in to the Man » | On the Trivialities of Tivoli » | Of All the Things to Forget at Home This Morning... » | On the History of Madness and Mondays » | True Story » | CA Cash Refund » | Recipe for Disaster » | When Are Things Due? » 

Friday, February 10, 2006 

A Soothing Blend of Me

In the comic, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I enumerate the processes I use for creating these masterpieces. Well, on my blog here I'm going to start talking about the process I used for each individual comic. For most of you, this probably won't matter or make much sense, but I've noticed that my art, style and processes have changed drastically over the last four months and I want a way to document these changes.

Today's strip is a new milestone in the La Casa universe. It is the first color strip and I am going to try and do the strips in color from now on. This wouldn't be a problem except for what I talked about yesterday.

Here is the process I use for the comic:

The panels that I use were created as a layer in Photoshop. They are fixed at 600x800 pixels.

I created a double sized (1200x1600) jpg of the panels and saved it to do drafts of the comic on.

1. I open the jpg in Sketchbook Pro.
a) I take the script that Ahniwa sent me and on a scratch piece of paper I draw a thumbnail of what it will look like. I do this to get an idea of space and how I'm going to set up the scenario visually. This is where procrastination becomes a problem for me.

b) Once I have the thumbnail done I sketch out the bigger versions on the jpg template in Sketchbook. Doing this allows me to go outside the borders, which I do quite often.

c) I save the image at double size (still 1200x1600) as a "Best" quality jpg.

2. Open Photoshop.
a) I open the jpg and create a new layer on top of the sketch.

b) Under "image size" i have the resolution cranked up to 300.

c) On this new layer I use a 9px paint brush and do all of the foreground characters and things.

d) I create a new background layer and draw all background characters and action. This layer has the opacity turned down to 75% so that when I do coloring the colors show through the lines. Making things look slightly out of focus.

e) I create a new layer called "Color Foreground"

To get around my colorblindness I had to create swatches of color for each character. I've labeled all of these: "Theo's hair", "Ahniwa's Hair", "Ahniwa's shirt", etc. Even if you have sharp eyes, I'd recommend doing this anyway. It seriously speeds up coloring.

f) This is where I differ from many of my colleagues as far as the coloring process goes. From what I understand, they use the magic wand tool and change between the inking layer and coloring layer selecting different areas to color. I usually find it easier (unless I'm coloring an extremely large area) to just use the paintbrush and just color.

For today's comic I didn't do any shadows, just flat colors, and I like the way it turned out. I may use shadows eventually, and when I do, I'll explain how I do that.

g) At this point I do marquee and paint bucket fills for background colors. Keep them simple and duotone if possible. You don't want them detracting from the foreground colors/action.

I save a copy of this as "(comic date)draftcolor.psd" and you're ready to add dialogue!

3. I create a new layer for each of the characters. I create one layer first, then I go layer-->layer style-->stroke and change it to black and 3px. I then copy that layer as many times as I need to. Copy BEFORE you start typing.

a)I copy and paste the text from the script into the comic and edit for length accordingly.

b)I then use the oval marquee tool and create a bubble around the text.

c) Edit-->fill choose background color and then hit ok. Voila, speech bubbles.

d) Then I use the lasso tool to connect the bubbles to the characters.

e) I then save the image as "(comic date)draftdialogue.psd"

4. Now it's time to add the frames.

a) Open the frames .psd

b) Double the size to 1200x1600.

c) Drag the frames onto the inked comic and center them

d) Go back to the "ink" layer and do touch-up work. Then do the same for the background layer.

e) Add the copyright info.

5. Save the image once more and then flatten it. This keeps the dialogue the same size in relation to the image. If you shrink the image while the dialogue has its own layer, sometimes it will stay the same size and that creates quite a headache. Then I save it as a .png file and it's ready to ship!


I know that may not make any sense. I've been doing this process for so long now that I just kinda do it by heart without even thinking. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail or comment them to me. I love to talk about this stuff.

Anyway, hope y'all have a great day and I'll see if I can get some more sketches up this weekend along with that side project that I'm working on. I really want you guys to see the draft!

--GOGIVEPERFETIONASHOTINTHEFACE--

Some Poor Schmuck

  • I'm a llama
  • From Outer Mongolia
  • Genious.
  • And THIS is my comic
My profile
Site Meter eXTReMe Tracker

Previous posts