« Home | Intelligence Resigns » | Space kabobs...of DOOOM! » | BRING OUT YER DEAD! » | Strumpets' crumpets » | I Woke up Under the Bed » | So where's that little white rabbit anyway?! » | Give me wOrds or give me SPAM! » | Independant LiVing Facility » | ReVolting sPaSms of dOOm! » | Help Me Help You... » 

Monday, September 26, 2005 

Sputnik, but smaller

I just had a conversation about China with a friend of mine. It's amazing how different the views on the issue of censorship are.

My view is that censorship in China may eventually be something that destroys the government but it will take a long time, if it ever happens. Not being upset by what the government is doing is worse than being upset and not being able to do anything.

My friend's view is that if the Chinese people are ok just doing a 9-5, making money and getting what news they can through the government, what's wrong with that?

The argument against that is that government released news is in editorial form, with only the pro or the con, never both. Take Taiwan for example. On the Chinese mainland you will only find one opinion in the newspapers. The editors know that they will be jailed if they don't print anti-independance pieces. Then the people only get one view-point. How are they supposed to think differently? The generation that is my age (mid 20s) has only ever known communism. They don't know freedom of the press, democracy or even what else is out there.

There is a humanist idea that sees the human spirit as able to overcome any kind of oppression. While I'd like to believe this, and while it makes for great cinema, it takes information for the brain to be creative enough to even envision freedom. And humans are known for taking the path of least resistance. Will people ever rise up? Yes. Remember Tienamen Square. Will it work? Probably not. Remember Tienamen Square.

I think that as long as international organizations and governments give in to whatever the government wants to do in China, we'll see oppression of thought, life and freedom continue unchecked. It won't end and because the system perpetuates itself, we won't see revolution and we won't see improvement in the quality of life. Look at Cuba.

--ANELIGIBLEINDEPENDENT--

Some Poor Schmuck

  • I'm a llama
  • From Outer Mongolia
  • Genious.
  • And THIS is my comic
My profile
Site Meter eXTReMe Tracker

Previous posts