« Home | And the list keeps growing! » | Unthinking MOBs » | Smash stuff. Go on, do it. You know you want to. » | Superlatives » | A complte meltdown is happening now! » | Old People » | WTF?! » | Au revoir mon amie...pour l'instant » | Spooooon! » | Doin' da boot-skootin' boogie » 

Friday, June 10, 2005 

It's Graduation Time

So right now I'm listening to Derrick Jensen give the commencement address at my alma mater, The Evergreen State College.

So far he's made jokes about us not living in a democracy, education not being education, and the importance of growing up.

His message is, do what you love and you'll find happiness. You won't be rich, but rich people are unhappy. He's talking about how much salmon there used to be. He's now quoting Joseph Campbell. If I ever hear a liberal calling a conservative an elitist again, I'm going to go crazy.

Ok, his first good point. 'There is no support for students who graduate.' I like that one.

Then he goes and screws it up again. He was listing off all of the reasons he thought he was crazy when he graduated and then he said that he realized he wasn't crazy, it was the culture. Everyone cheered.

According to him, it's ok to not have a job. Dedicate your life to finding yourself. Awww...

Whoah, there's an idea. Do with your life what you want.

Serving the environment is what this guy is all about and he keeps slipping back into that. Evergreen has this problem every single year. The speakers always end up slipping back into whatever rhetorical background they have. It's sad.

He's quoting Joseph Campbel again.

He was just talking about the phrase "Thank God it's Friday!" and he was lamenting that it is a stupid thing to say because you're celebrating yet another week gone of this short life that we have. In fact, I believe that quote is celebrating the fact that responsibilities are taken care of and it's now time to live in the moment. I see where he's coming from, I just think he's wrong. It's a celebration of the moment, not of time passed.

cont.

Some Poor Schmuck

  • I'm a llama
  • From Outer Mongolia
  • Genious.
  • And THIS is my comic
My profile
Site Meter eXTReMe Tracker

Previous posts