« Home | In Which I Battle A Monkey » | Lame » | In Which I Retell That One Story » | It's not Rocket's Science! » | 65% Water, Baby!! » | Wait, was that you? » | Lasting longing » | Supa dupa flie » | Refer to #1 Under Attention » | P.H.I.E.! » 

Friday, October 07, 2005 

In which I take Excedrin

Whenever you think your life is messed up and you're feeling depressed, deal with it. Then read this article of kids choking themselves to death. FOR FUN.

What really astounds me about these articles is that the parents are always shocked. "We never saw it coming! I didn't see the signs!" But this is what you get when parents let CHILDREN have virtual autonomy while growing up. If you aren't completely involved in your child's life, you have no right to complain about what they do when they're not around you.

My parents didn't rule me with an iron thumb, but my mom definately knew where I was and what I was doing at all times. It's just kinda how she did things. At the time I thought she was an oppressive dictator, but now I really appreciate her style of parenting.

Another thing in the article that I just noticed was that quote:

Children have likely been playing the "choking game" for a long time, Connecticut-based child psychologist Dr. Lawrence Shapiro told The Associated Press.


Wait. What? No WAY! <--sarcasm

The kid gets it right when he says:

"What's the big deal? I'm not taking any drugs; I'm not drinking or anything."


That really is the way kids think. Especially at 13-14. It'd be good to keep in mind how old these kids are. Has anyone else seen the movie "thirteen"? It's really good. It doesn't have anything to do with the choking game, but it does have an interesting perspective on that age bracket.

--REDEMPTIONVALUE--

We were very involved in our son's life, that died from the choking game, 10 months ago. We are not perfect parents, but we certainly keep our children our priority. Both my husband and I have home businesses, to be home with them. We homeschool our children. We limit TV. We know who their friends are. YEs, we even discipline them. But yet, our son found out and accidentally hung himself. And, the parents I've met since our son's death, who lost a child this way were very involved. It seems to get many of the "good kids" who think this is a "free drug" that won't hurt anyone. Yet, they are dying from it. This game needs awareness.

Post a Comment

Some Poor Schmuck

  • I'm a llama
  • From Outer Mongolia
  • Genious.
  • And THIS is my comic
My profile
Site Meter eXTReMe Tracker

Previous posts