« Home | Wow... » | Birthday posts » | Happy Birthday to ME! » | Drooling uncontrolably » | I have never been to this place » | I'm gettin' hungry... » | How do I change the appearance of text and data? » | Things your mom won't talk about » | Dear <> » | Shameless marketing ploy » 

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 

What drugs are you on?

So, Hunter S. Thompson died.

Sad? A little. Surprised? Not at all.

Some people have said that he's a literary hero. That he singlehandedly revamped the american lit scene. I completely disagree.

Thompson was little more than a drug addled schizophrenic gun nut who happened to enjoy holding a pen. His books are entertaining, but only because they probe the depths of human depravity in a way that no one could possibly survive. And yet Thompson did. He somehow survived for years and years, bucking all the trends in American journalism with indelible style and tenacity. From his first article until the day he shot himself in the head, he was a truly original character.

I can see how this so called 'gonzo' style of journalism could be considered revolutionary, but to call Thompson a hero because of he broke trends is something of a misnomer. He would walk into important meetings and give speeches high out of his mind and a certain segment of the population respected him for this. I however do not. Bucking authority is one thing, but I don't think that he should be revered for complete abandonment of all social graces.

So why dedicate an entire post to him and his carear? Because, though I disagree with his tactics, it must have taken some kind of skill to have published as much as he did. Even though most people my age have never heard of Thompson beyond the movie starring the (ever dreamy) Johnny Depp, I think that he should be honored for being the man he was: A crazy psycho with a deathwish that finally came true.

So, onward and upward to see who will take his place for our generation. Oh boy, I can hardly wait.

--SEEYAONTHEFLIPSIDE--

Some Poor Schmuck

  • I'm a llama
  • From Outer Mongolia
  • Genious.
  • And THIS is my comic
My profile
Site Meter eXTReMe Tracker

Previous posts